Tuesday 1 December 2009

Tentatively in the saddle.

I had been worried I would never make it even this far, I may have not been long on my bike yet (in fact I've just done one side of bath to the other, which is nothing in the scheme of things) but as soon as we actually got on the bike, I began to remember why I volunteered for this in the first place. A bike is a remarkable kind of freedom, it's not as fast as a car, bus, train or plane, but it gets you closer to the world, it connects you with what's happening, you know what the weather is like, what the places you normally pass through in a flash, are really like. Plus it doesn't need fuel, just the power of you. I've been to Bath, I even like to think I know it quite well, the shops, bus station and train station
are all familiar to me, but I didn't know until today that it even had a canal, or at least I have never been there. It's such an oasis, ducks and house boats float in the murky water, a tumble of dogs and people of all ages
adorn the banks in chaotic bunches. Joggers and fellow cyclists flash by, and sudden hills require a run up, or sudden appearences threaten to capsize me and my very full and unruly panniers into the river. Now sitting in a lovely sitting room in a lovely part of Bath I am looking forward to our journey along the length of this canal, I'm still a bit worried about my fitness levels, but after my practise run today, I'm more worried about getting sadle sore than not making the miles. Let's see what tommorow brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment